Game 8 of the Championship?

My cousin had been encouraging me to watch PBA live at the Araneta Coliseum yesterday. He said that it would be a championship-like battle between Barangay Ginebra Kings (BGK) and Air21 Express since they were the teams that fought for the crown last Fiesta Conference. But due to personal reasons, I was not able to join them. I just watched the game on TV, CS9, with poor reception and boring commentators (one of 'em called Gary David as Bal David twice), haha.

It was really a championship-like ballgame. BGK, like last fiestacon, had a depleted line-up. Mark Caguioa, Eric Menk, Rafi Reavis, and Billy Mamaril are missing in action. Air21, on the other hand, had a complete line-up. Arwind Santos and Homer Se are now back after being suspended due to their game against Rain or Shine Elasto (ROSE) Painters last October 5.

As usual, BGK had a poor start. But, JayJay Helterbrand's three 3-pointer in the 1st quarter keeps the Big Dome rocking. It was a close fight. A lot of lead changes. But the game was fun. It was raining 3 point shots for the BGK. JunJun Cabatu has 4/7, Helterbrand 5/11, Junthy Valenzuela 1/2, Ronald Tubid 3/7, and Paul Artadi 1/4. Summing it up, they scored 42 points just from their 3 point shots.

The game was a revelation for Cabatu. I thought it was just mere luck when he hit a 3 point shot last game against Sta. Lucia Realtors (SLR). But his 4 three-pointers last night means he is hot from the arc. He was hailed as the Best Player of the Game (BPG) with a career-high of 23 points, with 6 rebounds and 5 assits.

Ooopss.. Of course I won't forget my favorite player, Chris Pacana. Though he only scored 4 points, he contributed a lot for the team. I remember my sister had been laughing on me when I began cheering for him the moment he checked in. His assist to Artadi on their fastbreak play during the 1st quarter was described by Quinito Henson as 'picture perfect pass'. And that was a selfless assist for me. And how about his interception of the long pass? His desire to win the lose ball by diving on it? But oh, I can see his frustration when he was called for a traveling violation on the 3rd quarter. *sigh* He was as well kinda annoyed when he was called for a foul in the ending minutes of the pay off period. My cousin told me that it was because of Wynne Arboleda's dirty moves *grrr* He has that never say die attitude, fit for the BGK team. (Will be uploading the videos of the game later)



It feels like an extension of the 2007-2008 Smart PBA Fiesta Conference Championship. And BGK fought again with pure HEART. I wonder how strong BGK line-up would be if Mark Caguioa is back in shape. Smells like back-to-back championship huh? I wish.

Scores:

Ginebra 101 - Cabatu 23, Helterbrand 21, Valenzuela 14, Tubid 13, Artadi 11, Wilson 6, Crisano 6, Pacana 4, Holper 2, Escalona 1, Salvacion 0.

Air21 92 - Santos 19, De Ocampo 15, Arboleda 12, David 11, Se 10, Quinahan 8, Billones 7, Intal 4, Cruz 3, Canaleta 3, Kramer 0.

Quarterscores: 22-20, 41-46, 76-77, 101-92

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: